This is one of the authentic sweet dish of India made up of khoya. A perfect dessert after a delicious food. 🙂 I hope you will like it.
12 oz(134 gm) khoya
3 tsp all purpose flour (Maida)
1/3 cup milk
ghee for frying
For sugar syrup:
2 cup sugar
2 cup water
few strands of saffron
1/3 tsp cardamom powder.
1) In a pan, put together all the ingredients for sugar syrup.
2) Bring it to a boil on high heat and then reduce the heat to medium. Let it boil at medium heat for almost 10-15 min till it thickens.
3) After 10-15 min check the consistency of syrup, it should be single string consistency. Once you achieve this consistency, your syrup is ready. Now, keep this aside.
4) Take the khoya in a bowl. If you are using frozen khoya then before using it keep it outside for sometime till it comes to room temperature. As this frozen khoya is too hard to make balls. Grate it so that it will be soft enough to knead into a soft dough.
5) Now, add 2 heaped tsp of all purpose flour to this khoya and knead it into a soft dough. If you feel it is too dry to make small balls add some milk to it and knead it again. While you are adding milk add little at a time.
6) You may need some more all purpose or less than 2 tsp depending on the khoya. The point here is we have to make very soft dough so that we can make small balls of it without having any crack. If you are using frozen khoya you need to add some milk to it. It may not be required if you a re using fresh khoya. So add the all purpose flour little at a time.
7) Now divide the dough into 30 parts and make small equal size balls of it. Balls should not have crack over it.
8) Heat ghee(Clarified butter) in a kadhai(wok) at medium heat. Ghee should be sufficient enough so that the balls submerge completely.
9) When the ghee heats up, check the temperature of ghee by adding a small ball to it. If it rises up very fast then its too hot for frying. It should rise up slowly when you add this small ball to it.
10) Now once the ghee temperature is right for frying drop these balls into ghee slowly. Don’t add more than 4-5 at a time. Fry them until Golden Brown in color.
11) Once they are Golden Brown, strain them and drop them in sugar syrup.
12) Fry all of the balls in the same way.
13) Let these balls soak in sugar syrup for couple of hours. You can garnish them with finely chopped pistachio, and almonds.
You can serve hot gulab jamun with a scoop of vanila ice-cream…. Thats the heavenly combination I feel 🙂