Appe are traditionally made with green gram(moong dal), Chic peas ( chana dal) and rice. But here goes my version of appe with all the possibles pulses making it more healthy with that extra protein and fiber you get. This dish is my favorite because I make the batter and keep it in fridge. I can use it for 4-5 days. Good filling snacks for those busy days if batter is ready in the fridge ;). Try the recipe and lemme know how it turns out for you.
1/2 cup Green gram
1/2 cup Black gram
1/2 cup Moth bean
1/2 cup chick peas
1/2 cup pigeon peas
1 cup Brown rice
small piece of ginger
green chillies to taste
salt to taste
some chopped cilantro
(P.S. : I have used all the pulses with skin. If you don’t have with skin without skin can also be used. You can replace brown rice with normal rice.)
- Soak all the pulses and rice together in a bowl for 7-8 hrs.
- Grind them all in a mixer blender to a coarse thick paste.
- Add salt to it and keep it aside for 3-4 hrs.
- Now finely chop the green chillies and ginger and to the batter. Also mix the cilantro to this batter and mix well.
- Heat up the appe pan on medium heat.
- Add a drop of oil to each compartment of this appe pan when its heated up.
- With the help of spoon put a spoonful of batter in each compartment. Don’t fill it completely as it may become difficult to remove the appe later from the pan.
- Cover it with a lid for couple of minutes. Once the underside is done flip each of the appa with the help of tool.( I do it with a knife as I did not get any tool with the pan)
- When both the sides are cooked and are crispy remove them from the pan.
- Follow the same procedure for rest of the batter.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney/chutney podi.
- You can also add finely chopped onions to the batter while making the appe. It gives good taste to it.
- Once the batter is fermented keep it in fridge in a air tight container. It stays for close to 4 days for me. Take out the desired amount of batter in a bowl n keep rest in fridge. Add the ginger,chillies and cilantro to the batter in bowl just before cooking.