“Idli” is comfort food of most of the southern India. You can call it as a steamed Rice cake. Its good and filling breakfast. I remember whenever we used to go to Tirupati, in the morning after coming from the temple we used to eat these idlis in small restaurant or used to buy them somewhere roadside. They serve idlis in a banana leaf with some chutney normally coconut chutney. In fact this is the normal picture in entire southern India. In the morning you will find many road side stalls selling idlis with chutney. Go to any galli/nukkad there is at least one stall selling Idlis, Dosa or Vada.
Again, this one is my favorite for two reasons: One is I like it. 2nd is it saves my cooking time over the weekend. ;).I just make the batter on Friday and store it in fridge and eat it over the lazy weekend.
Idlis can be made with cream of wheat or cream of rice and Urad dal (Black gram without skin) or soaking rice etc.I am going to make this Idlis with cream of rice and Urad dal.Cream of rice is also called as Idli Rava.
1 cup Urad dal (washed)
3 cup Idli Rava(Cream of rice)
Salt to taste.
Very little oil. (to apply slightly to the pan)
- Soak the Urad dal for 5-6 hrs.
- Grind the Urad dal to a fine paste in a mixer.
- Wash the Idli rava twice with water so that to have white idlis.
- Now squeez the water from the idli rava and add it to the Urad dal paste.
- Add salt and mix properly.
- Batter should have consistency of curd/yogurt.
- Keep it aside for atleast 7-8 hrs for fermentation in warm place.
- In hot weather it ferments in 4-5 hrs too.
- Here note that the container should be large enough to store the double amount of batter it has now. Because when the batter will ferment it will be doubled. So if the container is not large enough it may spill out.
- Now once the batter is fermented mix it gently. Dont mix it more. The air trapped will escape making the Idlis hard.
- Brush up the idly pan lightly with oil and Pour the batter into Idli moulds and steam it for 15 min on medium to high heat.
- Let the steam escape before you open the steamer.
- Now flip the Idlis out with the help of spoon.
- Serve hot with sambar or coconut chutney or chutney podi.
- If the weather is not warm enough to ferment the batter you can preheat the oven at 200 F and then switch it off and then put the batter inside the oven. It will ferment good.
- You can also add warm water while preparing the batter to ferment it faster.